During his short and successful career, he has received wide national and international recognition:
- Latin America's 50 Best Restaurants 2015.
- Latin America's 50 Best Restaurants 2014.
- Latin America's 50 Best Restaurants 2013.
- Ranked among the 50 business geniuses of Colombia: Dinero magazine.
- Telefónica Young Millenial 2013.
- Rosa de los Vientos Award for best restaurant 2013, ACOPET.
- Orden Comendador de la Patria awarded by the Congress of the Republic. 2013.
- Elcielo Restaurant was selected as a case study of INALDE Business School of the Universidad de la Sabana and the IESE of Barcelona (Spain).
- Selected as Chef Revelación Mundial by the international press present in Madrid Fusión.
- Exito Awards Iberoamérica 2011. Recognition to leadership, excellence, quality, and outstanding management of ElCielo creative cuisine, and Juan Manuel Barrientos as a business leader.
- Order of Honores Patrios of the Congress of the Republic.
- Top 5 Chef Colombia. 2010
- Chosen as one of the 15 young world peace leaders to attend the Global Nonkilling Center in Honolulu Hawaii 2010.
- Restaurant ElCielo, touristic destination and icon of the City of Medellín by the Bureau of this Colombian city.
- Named a young businessman in 2009 by the Congress of the Republic of Colombia.
In 2016 he cooked a dinner at the Colombian Embassy in Washington. The president of Colombia, Juan Manuel Santos, several dignitaries, and ambassadors attended. It was hosted by the United States political leaders, such as former Secretary of State Colin Powel; former United States presidential candidate, John McCain; several American senators, and Christine Lagarde, director of the International Monetary Fund. Even Colombian celebrities such as former Miss Universe Paulina Vega attended.
On Friday, August 26, 2016, ElCielo Bogotá served once again as the venue of the Diners Club Restaurant Tour by Alimentarte. That year, Chef JuanMa Barrientos hosted a four-hands dinner and welcomed Josean Alija, chef of the Nerua Guggenheim restaurant from Bilbao (Spain). The latter has been awarded with one Michelin Star and three Repsol Suns. Currently his restaurant is ranked 55th in the World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2016. Both chefs prepared there a multicourse dinner where the ingredients of the new and old world were integrated looking to surprise the attendants with a menu that stimulated all the senses.
Juan Manuel Barrientos Valencia was formally invited as a panelist to the Global Entrepreneurship Summit (2016). The invitation came by a letter from the White House and President Obama through the US Department of State. That event took place from June 22 to 24 at Stanford University in Silicon Valley, United States, more specifically at the Arrillaga Alumni Center (Lane-Lyons Room).
Some notable personalities attended the summit in the role of panelists, such as the president Barack Obama; Mark Zuckerberg, president and founder of Facebook, and Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google, among others. His participation was on Friday, June 24, when JuanMa and his panel delivered a lecture called The Creative Economy. This conference was moderated by Charles Rivkin (Assistant Secretary of the Bureau of Economy and Business of the United States Department of State).
VERIZON, one of the most prestigious mobile and telecommunications companies on the planet, chose @JuanMaElCielo as part of its campaign #Bienvenidoalomejor. The campaign also included other important Latin-American influencers who succeed in the U.S. The campaign is led by the American actress Gina Rodríguez, who has Latin American roots and has been awarded a Golden Globe. JuanMa recorded the campaign in Los Angeles (California) in late July 2016, and prepares a dinner for the winner of a contest at his restaurant in Miami. This campaign will continue until late 2016 in United States.
Chef Juan Manuel Barrientos has been working for two years with a team of COLCAFÉ, more specifically with the development manager of the MATIZ brand, in the creation of a signature gastronomic coffee grown in Farallones del Citará, Antioquia, whose symbol is a grain of gold. For the excellence of its quality and the utmost care in its entire production process, it has been named CAFÉ ELCIELO BY MATIZ. It was launched in the middle of July in Bogota and Medellín.
ElCielo’s chef was in charge of preparing the closing dinner of the World Economic Forum in Medellín, just the day of his 33rd birthday (June 16, 2016). At the dinner, there were 800 personalities and dignitaries from more than 48 countries. There he introduced several members of his integrated kitchen team, including soldiers wounded in combat, indigenous people, and members of armed groups outside the law who have been reincorporated into civilian life thanks to the management of the ElCielo Foundation.
Juan Manuel Barrientos attended the 31st edition of Chefs' Tribute, the most important New York gastronomy event at Rockefeller Center on June 6, alongside the best chefs in the U.S. His creative cuisine was part of the thematic dinner called: "Qué Rico! Celebrating Latino Cuisine & Culture", organized by Citymeals on Wheels (Citymeals.org), a charity organization that provides food to people without economic resources in the United States.
Recognitions and Awards